Monday, August 3, 2009

Social Media are competing with Instant Messaging

I don’t publicize my email and instant messaging IDs because…



  • I rely on them to communicate with trusted partners

  • I’m afraid of spams

  • I want to maintain certain privacy


Social Media come as a rescue, adding more communication layers.


Communication layers


The inner layer have emails and IM IDs is to be used for trusted partners and everyday conversations


The middle layer consist of my blog and profiles (LinkedIn being public and Facebook being semi-public)


The outer layer is where I maintain the so-called “public parties”, where I redirect all initial connections there.


***


In this sense, it is sensible to claim that Twitter is the new generation of communication, at a different level from real-time chatting.



  • Twitter provides a communication channel that is less prone to spams

  • Twitter offers asynchronous conversation mechanism, which does not require the other party to actually be there to communicate. We can be sure that they will receive our messages later on, and the messages will stay there without getting lost like Yahoo! Messenger offline messages


***


Moreover, I used to use IM status to host various quotes and thoughts. Now with Social Media, I have many options to choose from.


Can we generalize by saying that Social Media are adding values to online communication and competing with Instant Messaging at the same time?




Xem đầy đủ bài viết tại http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/TaiTran/~3/_wO1VxnskyY/social-media-are-competing-with-instant-messaging.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts